Online Christmas Tree permits will be available for purchase in the Gila National Forest beginning Nov. 16. (Photo: Courtesy Photo)
SILVER CITY, N.M. – How would you like to be able to purchase your Christmas tree permit from the comfort of your home? With online ordering there is no waiting in line or driving to your local Forest Service Office. The Forest Service is in the process of transitioning Christmas tree permit sales to an on-line process that will allow for these benefits.
Online options will be available beginning on November 16, 2020 via Recreation.gov. The cutting period for Christmas trees is November 21 through December 24 at sundown.
The on-line sales include the $5 any species Christmas tree, the free permit for pinyon and the Every Kid Outdoors Christmas tree. All transactions will include a small fee for using the Recreation.gov website.
Online Purchase of Gila National Forest Christmas Tree Permits start November 16 at: www.recreation.gov/tree-permits/Gila.
It is important to carefully read the overview and need-to-know information on Recreation.gov prior to purchasing the permit online. Visitors will also need to setup or login to a Recreation.gov account to complete the transaction.
Please be aware there is a transaction fee in addition to the permit cost. Details about designated cutting areas and Every Kid Outdoor initiative will be located on the Recreation.gov site.
If you do not have the ability to acquire your permit on-line you can still visit a local Forest Service office. The Gila National Forest has implemented new safety procedures for permit sales at office locations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Debit and credit card payment are preferable or bring exact change as often making change can be a challenge.
The Forest offers the same options as on-line which are the $5 any species Christmas Tree, free permit for pinyon, and the Every Kid Outdoors free Christmas Tree. The limit is one tree/household. There are no refunds on permits.
The Gila National is pleased to announce that all fourth graders are eligible for a free Christmas tree permit through the Every Kid Outdoors initiative as supplies allow. To
be eligible for a free Christmas tree permit, the Every Kid Outdoor card code must be provided at the time of purchase.
2020 Christmas Tree permits (not on-line) will be processed by the following offices:
• Gila National Forest Supervisor’s Office/Silver City Ranger District, 3005 E Camino del Bosque, Silver City, NM 88061. Phone: 575.388.8201. Hours: weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Black Range Ranger District (please call and make an appointment to pick up your permit), 1804 N Date Street, Truth or Consequences, NM 87901. Phone: 575.894.6677
Hours: weekdays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Glenwood Ranger District, 18 Ranger Station Road, Glenwood, NM 88039. Phone: 575.539.2481. Hours: weekdays 8 a.m. to noon, and 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
• Reserve Ranger District, 5 Smokey Bear Circle, Reserve, NM 87830. Phone: 575.533.6232. Hours: weekdays 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Quemado Ranger District, 3 Lyle Loop, Quemado NM 87829. Phone: 575.773.4678
Hours: weekdays 8 a.m. to noon, and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
• Wilderness Ranger District, 3697 NM Hwy 35 N, Mimbres, NM 88049. Phone: 575.539.2250. Hours: weekdays 8 a.m. to noon, and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
For information on the Gila National Forest, check out our website at https://www.fs.usda.gov/gila or join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter.
Read or Share this story: https://www.demingheadlight.com/story/news/2020/11/03/forest-service-begins-online-christmas-tree-sales-permits-nov-16/6126696002/