COVID19

Keeping COVID-19 outside of camps is a near impossible challenge

As summer camps across the country debated whether and how to operate during the coronavirus pandemic this spring, Kanakuk Kamps, a prominent network of Christian sports camps in Missouri, announced its five overnight camps would open to over 20,000 kids starting May 30.

“Our full-time summer staff of 1,600 qualified individuals including 100 registered nurses and 60 volunteer doctors are hired and sitting on ready,” Joe White, who runs the camp with his wife Debbie-Jo, told families. “We are planning on being open all summer.”

On their website the camp assured parents “We are focused on taking all reasonable measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our Kamps.”

But now even cautious hopes that COVID-19 might be kept outside Kanakuk Kamps’ gates are already dashed. On July 1, parents were notified by email that one of the camps, known as K-2, was shutting down. The Stone County Health Department’

Read More

Duke plans mass COVID-19 testing and mix of in-person and online classes this fall

Duke University is planning to bring students, faculty and staff back to campus in August with new safety precautions, including mass COVID-19 testing, adjusted classroom layouts and revised housing options in dorms and hotels.

The school also announced the plan for its student-athletes to return to campus, beginning with football players on July 12.

The news comes as state health officials say they are concerned about the recent increase in COVID-19 cases among younger adults.

“While the trends we see today are concerning,” Duke president Vince Price said in a statement, “we believe that the many safety precautions we are putting in place will allow us to responsibly continue along the path towards opening Duke’s fall 2020 semester on campus in August. We ask all members of the Duke community — students, parents, faculty and staff — to recognize and accept that we may need to change our plans based

Read More

How ‘AGT’ is reshaping season during COVID-19, from no audiences to outdoor Judge Cuts

What is the sound of 10 hands clapping?

“America’s Got Talent” fans will find out when the NBC summer reality competition returns Tuesday (8 EDT/PDT), with acts performing only for the four judges and host Terry Crews – along with crew members – in an otherwise empty Pasadena Civic Auditorium.

It’s the first episode of Season 15 to reflect the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, which sidelined entertainment production when “AGT” auditions were being taped in March. 

Three months later, “AGT” is one of the first shows back in production, last week filming a Judge Cuts episode (airing July 28) outdoors in Los Angeles. And, the season’s live shows are still on tap, starting Aug. 11.

Simon Cowell, a judge and executive producer, found a “silver lining” in having to reconfigure the season during production.

In an ‘AGT’ first, judges Howie Mandel, left, Sofia Vergara and Simon Cowell observe auditions

Read More

L.A. falls far short of COVID-19 promise to house 15,000 homeless people in hotels

Wendy Brown enters her room at the Cadillac Hotel in Venice on June 1 as part of Project Roomkey. <span class="copyright">(Genaro Molina/Los Angeles Times)</span>
Wendy Brown enters her room at the Cadillac Hotel in Venice on June 1 as part of Project Roomkey. (Genaro Molina/Los Angeles Times)

An ambitious Los Angeles County plan to lease hotel and motel rooms for 15,000 medically vulnerable homeless people is falling far short of its goal and may never provide rooms for more than a third of the intended population.

Project Roomkey has given safe haven to thousands of those it has housed. But as it enters its fourth month, negotiators have secured only 3,601 rooms. That’s only a fourth of the number needed to house all those who are eligible.

As a result, homeless officials are now changing course, saying they will continue working to find permanent housing for all those eligible, whether they first move into hotel rooms or remain on the street.

The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority is scheduled to submit a plan to

Read More

‘I lost my dad to Covid-19. This will be my first Father’s Day without him’

Shanaz Nagamah and her dad Mohamed
Shanaz Nagamah and her dad Mohamed

The coronavirus death toll in the UK has now reached over 50,000; a number 43 per cent higher than the expected number of deaths in a normal year. Since the first UK case was identified on 29 January – at a hotel in York – the country has seen thousands of families lose mothers, fathers, siblings, friends, and other relatives to the deadly virus.

In the next 365 days these families will have to face anniversaries, birthdays, and other milestones, without these people. As Father’s Day approaches on Sunday 21 June, The Independent spoke to three Brits who lost their dad to Covid-19 about how they’ll mark the day.

Shanaz Nagamah, 31, from Essex, lost her dad Mohamed, 82, on 7 April

“My last memory of dad is squeezing his hand as he got into the ambulance. My brother, Nizam, 35, had called me

Read More

Bahamas reverses itself, will require COVID-19 test for tourists after July 1.

The Bahamas has reversed itself on COVID-19 tests for tourists.

After announcing that foreign visitors and Bahamians returning home will not need to obtain a negative COVID-19 test when the country reopens on July 1 to international commercial flights, Tourism and Aviation Minister Dionisio D’Aguilar told Parliament Wednesday that a negative test will now be required.

Last week Dr. Duane Sands, the former health minister who resigned amid the pandemic after a public quarrel with the prime minister, warned fellow lawmakers the country was taking chances by not expanding testing for the disease caused by the coronavirus. The country has registered 104 positive cases, of whom 72 have recovered and 11 have died.

“There has been much concern expressed about the re-opening of the country to foreign visitors — allowing them and Bahamians returning home, after 1 July, to enter the country without, I repeat without, some form of testing

Read More

Despite recent surge of COVID-19 cases, FIU plans to resume in-person classes in the fall

Florida International University Tuesday approved a three-phase blueprint to resume on-campus classes for the fall semester, with the first step being that all students, faculty and staff will have to answer COVID-19 related questions on an FIU-built app before returning to the university’s two campuses.

FIU’s board of trustees approved the measures, which the Florida Board of Governors would have to approve during its June 23 meeting, along with the plans submitted by each of the 11 other state universities.

The FIU team met “almost every other day since April 18” to draft the guidelines, basing them on a set of recommendations the Board of Governors passed along after its May 28 meeting, according to FIU Provost Kenneth Furton.

However, the plan is still a “living document” and could change depending on how the coronavirus develops in the state. The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases has been on the rise

Read More

B.C. warns ‘it only takes one person’ to spread COVID-19, U.S.-Canada border to remain closed

As cases of COVID-19 continue to spread around the world, Canadians seem to be increasingly concerned about their health and safety

Check back for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak in Canada.

For a full archive of the first month of the pandemic, please check our archive of events.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, British Columbia’s provincial health officer, commented on the recent COVID-19 outbreaks in Beijing, connected to a wholesale food market, and New Zealand, linked to people who travelled from the U.K.

“Once this virus is anywhere, it’s a risk everywhere,” Dr. Henry said. “We all need to continue to be aware that this is going to be in our communities for some time.”

Related to Beijing in particular, Dr. Henry said she is watching the situation “very carefully” and although transmission has not been linked to a food product directly, it has been linked to the people who … Read More

These Massage Therapists Worry About the Effects of COVID-19 on the Future of Their Industry

While the pandemic has been difficult for many, for those who are in the business of touch, the pain of social distancing has cut a level deeper. Relying entirely on in-person, hands-on services, massage therapists saw their business wiped out entirely in the blink of an eye when social distancing became a nearly ubiquitous mandate.

While their business has been on ice, some massage therapists have already pivoted to new ventures, while others are holding the line until they can return to what they know best. Areefa Mohamed, a New York City-based massage therapist who has been practicing for 10 years now, relates all too well. She’s found herself completely out of work since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. “COVID-19 has affected me as a therapist because we are not physically able to help clients or to physically work. It’s a scary time and not being able to alleviate

Read More

How hucksters and would-be profiteers invaded California’s online COVID-19 marketplace

In early April, Gov. Gavin Newsom launched a website where people and companies could help California gear up for the coronavirus pandemic.

The portal was designed as a marketplace for middlemen, manufacturers and business giants to pitch deals and donations with the state, which was scrambling to obtain medical supplies to fight COVID-19.

For some, the site was a chance to clear out their closets.

Someone in Los Angeles found seven masks while cleaning out an apartment and asked to donate them. A Santa Rosa resident offered an ice machine, an orthopedic boot and two N95 masks that were leftover from the 2017 wildfires.

“Sorry,” the person said, “that’s all I had left.”

Along with these small gestures, the portal soon became cluttered with hundreds of questionable offers and a dizzying array of sales pitches, a Sacramento Bee review of more than 6,000 submissions found. Hucksters looked to cash-in on

Read More